MS Bluetooth keyboard "wakeup"
Bill Pomeroy
2005-02-21 19:11:38 UTC
My MS Bluetooth keyboard Elite sometimes takes 15 to 20 seconds to "wakeup"
after sitting idle. Normally only 3-5 seconds seems to be required for
"wakeup". Is there a setting to adjust this wakeup or slumber time, or any
ideas on how to get the keyboard to be useable in a shorter period of time?
TIA
Bill
CriticalMass
Bill
Carlos
Bill
Bill Pomeroy
Bill
Bill Pomeroy
Bill
CriticalMass
2005-03-01 00:27:39 UTC
Post by Carlos
Can you describe what PC and Bluetooth stack are you using?
I don't know how to find what "bluetooth stack" I'm using, but the
devices are the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth and the
Microsoft Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth that came bundled as a package.

Drivers are what came with these devices, Intellipoint/Intellitype v5.2,
and OS is WinXP Home SP2. I believe the drivers are the latest MS has
published.

The issue is that both the mouse and the keyboard go to "sleep" if not
in continuous use, and require up to 10 seconds of activity before they
begin to once again communicate with the OS.

VERY ANNOYING. Had I known of this anomoly prior to purchase, I would
not have made the purchase.
Carlos
2005-03-07 19:05:26 UTC
Sorry about the vague statement.

What I want to know is:
Are you using a desktop or a laptop? what brand model?
Are you using Windows XP SP2?
Are you using the USB dongle that came with the Mouse/KB? If so,does the
dongle have a blue light?

The reason to ask this is:
A difference between conventional wireless mice/kb and bluetooth mice and kb
is that the PC has to do a lot more work in the bluetooth case. the reason
for this is that bluetooth can do a lot more than just mice and kbs (I use
it for printers, connections between PCs, phones and PDAs).

So now we know that we have to have Bluetooth software running on the PC for
the system to work (that software is called the bluetooth stack).
Now Microsoft wrote such piece of software for windows XP SP1 and rewrote it
for SP2. BUT there are several laptop manufacturers that ship their laptops
with build in bluetooth radios and they used somebody else's Bluetooth
software (I think Toshiba wrote their own, and everybody else uses one made
by a company called Widcom).

So to troubleshoot your problem it helps greatly if you're using the
Microsoft version of the Bluetooth software. (Use their hardware with their
software)

So if the answer is yes (you use windows xp sp2), yes (you use the attached
dongle) and yes (it has a blue light), then we've discarded the possibility
of you using someone else's software and it means that you are using the
older generation of their mouse/kb combo. My recommendation would be: return
it and get the new one. (called Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth) because
they improved it vastly (including the wakeup time). You can recognize the
new model because both the mouse and the keyboard have the new smooth scroll
wheel that tilts side to side.

If the answer is no to any of the above, then write back and we'll see how
it can be addressed.

Carlos.
have made the purchase.
Bill Pomeroy
2005-03-07 19:40:58 UTC
I am using a Dell Dimension 8300
I am using Windows XP Pro w/ SP2
I have the most current Microsoft Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth and the
Microsoft Intelimouse Explorer for Bluetooth which came as a package. I am
using the dongle that came with the keyboard and mouse. Both the keyboard
and mouse have the scroll wheel that also tilts from side to side.
Carlos.
Carlos
2005-03-09 02:52:26 UTC
Mhh..
stomped.

questions: Do you see the same behavior (15-20 second wakeup delay) in the
mouse AND the keyboard?
Also, if you can, get an estimate of how long the device has been "sleeping"
before you see this behavior (the magic number is around 7 - 10 minutes)
How often does it happen? you mentioned that the wakeup time is usually 2-3
seconds?

You may want to try a different usb port.

And finally... (and this may seem strange)... how often do you use the
scroll wheel on the keyboard? If you don't use it at all AND you only see
the delay on the keyboard try giving it two or three turns and see if that
makes a difference.

Carlos.
Carlos.
Bill Pomeroy
2005-03-09 15:10:00 UTC
No, only in the keyboard.
Only a guess, but I would say more than 5 minutes less than 10 minutes
Frequently through out the day.
I rarely ever use the scroll wheel on the keyboard.
What I do to speed up the wake up process is one of two thing, either press
the "show Favorites" button or open notepad and type a few keystrokes. The
notepad "trick" always seems to work every time.
Thanks for your continuing sleuthing
Bill

Carlos.
CriticalMass
2005-03-11 01:40:10 UTC
Post by Carlos
So if the answer is yes (you use windows xp sp2), yes (you use the attached
dongle) and yes (it has a blue light), then we've discarded the possibility
of you using someone else's software and it means that you are using the
older generation of their mouse/kb combo. My recommendation would be: return
it and get the new one. (called Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth) because
they improved it vastly (including the wakeup time). You can recognize the
new model because both the mouse and the keyboard have the new smooth scroll
wheel that tilts side to side.
Using WinXP SP2, Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth, 5.2 drivers that
came with the devices, latest on the MS site, bluetooth dongle that came
with both devices.....etc, etc, etc....latency with BOTH the damned
keyboard and the mouse. Only other aspect not previously covered is
that I'm also using a Logitech **wireless** trackball device. I have no
clue what frequency a **wireless* device operates on, as opposed to
2.4Ghz bluetooth ones, and thus what interference it might or might not
cause.

These difficulties, in addition to the fact that I failed to do my
homework to learn that Bluetooth operates in the 2.4Ghz spectrum and
interferes with my home security video system, has resulted in the
bluetooth keyboard/mouse being relegated to backup status. Both have
been replaced with less exotic equipment.